Meeting of the CVCLU Board
Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire
September 9, 2018
Present: Ann Heywood (chair), Mohammed Alasagherin, Mildred Larson, Abby Green, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, David Shih, John Wiltrout
Absent: Lindsey Brandrup, Teresa O’Halloran, Paul Wagner
1. Chair Heywood called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm.
2. There were no announcements.
3. The minutes of the August 12, 2018 meeting were approved as circulated.
4. John presented the Treasurer’s Report.
· The checking account has a balance of $594.16, and the saving account has a balance of $5.01.
· There was $250 less cash in the checking account than this time last year.
5. The Board discussed the business from the ACLU-WI Board meeting of July 28, 2018.
6. The Nominations subcommittee suggested names for nominations to the Board.
· Mohammed reported that communications are ongoing with a member of the HMAA.
· No progress on recruiting any members from JONAH
· Selika will email two prospective nominees.
· Mohammed and Abby offered names for student members.
· Ann said that the sooner we have these nominees, the better. Nominees should submit a 2-3 sentence statement explaining why they want to join the board.
7. Ann delivered the President’s report.
· The problem with ACLU-WI sending out emails to chapter members for the Beer & BOR event has been resolved.
· A check to ACLU national to support the border/reunifying families effort has been sent.
· The ACLU-WI communications director will now create the newsletter for CVCLU. Ann asked for board members to submit suggestions for the newsletter.
8. The Board discussed members’ meetings with local sheriff’s offices.
· John discussed his meeting with the Chippewa Falls county sheriff’s office and will send a report to the Board via email.
· Ann reported that she spoke with the Eau Claire County sheriff by phone and made an appointment to meet in person.
9. The Board discussed the recent Beer & BOR gathering.
· The Board agreed that it may have to change the location next year to accommodate a larger group.
10. The Board discussed the Fall program.
· Ann and Mildred volunteered to be on the planning committee.
· Sean Wilson, Smart Justice Statewide Organizer for ACLU-WI, will be the keynote speaker.
· The Board discussed how to create publicity for the program: get into Volume One ASAP, press releases, Facebook, etc.
· The Board needs a title for Wilson’s presentation for publicity.
· The Board will focus on publicity at its next meeting.
11. The Board discussed ACLU-WI’s letter to Altoona regarding the constitutionality of its anti-panhandling ordinance. It agreed to ask the ACLU-WI for prior notice of actions of this nature involving the Chippewa Valley in the future.
12. Selika made a motion to adjourn, David seconded. The motion was approved without dissent, and the meeting adjourned at 8:42 pm.
Secretary for the meeting