Board Meeting, Minutes - January 12th, 2020

CVCLU Board Meeting.

January 12, 2019, 5:00 pm

Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire

Present: Lindsey Brandrup, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Ann Francis, Ann Heywood, Mildred N. Larson, Kelle Moran, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, Pa Thao, John Wiltrout

Absent: Paul Wagner

1. The meeting was called to order at 5:05 pm

2. The board approved the minutes from the December 8, 2019 meeting, as taken by Paul and distributed via email.

3. John Wiltrout gave the October treasurer’s report. Website expense $161.35, donations income $120. Balances: savings: $5.01, checking, $1040.46.

4. No state board meeting was held since our last meeting so we did not hear a state board report.

5. President David Shih led the discussion of what a letter might look like and to whom it should be addressed, following up on the racist incidences at UW-Eau Claire during Fall 2019. The board discussed possibly sending a letter to UWEC and UW-Stout, and possibly including regional school districts and governmental entities. The letter would suggest that the groups work against racism together and possibly would offer to sponsor a gathering of stakeholders. David is going to create a draft letter.

6. Selika brought up a citywide book reading of Ibrahm Kendi’s How to be an Anti-Racist, that is sponsored by Uniting Bridges. Selika will draft a paragraph to publicize the event for state ACLU to publicize to area members. David will then share on our FaceBook page.

7. The board discussed what to use as contact information on our website and decided to see if our website provider has a generic email account we can use. We also discussed putting officers or at least the President’s email address on the website. We decided against putting up phone numbers.

8. The board discussed the topic of goals for next year. David shared a list of potential goals

1. Generate ~100/month to support ACLU national

2. Update our brochure and newsletter

3. Support student organization at UWEC

4. Button-making event

5. Event in Chippewa Falls or Menomonie

      1. Selika mentioned that Zymurgy in Menomonie would probably host an event with us.

f. Improve our meeting announcements

g. Find a new member (via FB?)

h. Youth summits

i. “Meet your board” events

j. Nametags for board

k. Beer & Bill of Rights

l. Micro grants for local orgs

9. A “Swag” subcommittee was formed, including Ann F., Ann H., Pa, and Mildred.

a. The group will meet at Mildred’s to evaluate our current stock of publicity and give-away items.

b. Ann H. will look for the pdf of the newsletter so the group can look at updating it.

10. Update on Smart Justice lobby day (David)

a. Registration on 29th

b. Training on the 14th at 6:30

c. Emilio will send link

11. Update on ACLU-WI CVC participation in Uniting Bridges’ MLK event (Selika)

a. St. James at 6:00, enter through back door, arrive at 5:15/5:30 for set up

b. Re-register members, 250 disenrolling, no list of who dis-enrolled, register regardless of party.

c. 2 tables at event (Ann Fran can supply one)

d. Be prepared for questions

12. Discussion of student representative process and applications

a. By-laws state 2-3 representatives

b. Ideal to include one student from each high school

c. All to receive ACLU memberships

d. John will submit applications with checks

e. Decided on 3 members

      1. North, MHS and Chi High represented

f. Student reps will attend next meeting in February

13. Discussion of FaceBook posting policy

a. Previously tabled

b. Want feed to be relevant to area and mission

c. Judgement call

14. Discussion of ACLU-WI CVC participation in upcoming events.

a. Pride, MLK, 19th Amendment, Juneteenth

The meeting was adjourned at 6:30.