Board Meeting, Minutes - April 5th, 2020
MINUTES, April 5, 2020
ACLU-WI Chippewa Valley Chapter
Meeting of the Board of Directors
Via Zoom technology
Board members present: Lindsey Brandrup, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Ann Francis, Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, Kelle Moran, Teresa O’Halloran, David Shih, Pa Thao, Paul Wagner, LJ Wells, Eliza Wiegel, John Wiltrout.
Board members absent: none
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:00.
2. The board made corrections to and approved the minutes from the March 8, 2020, meeting.
3. Paul and David reported on planning for the Beer & Bill of Rights event. Paul checked with various venues and none are scheduling right now, Paul left messages for the venues to get back to us when they are up and running again. David left an inquiry with Emilio as to topics for the event.
4. John gave the treasurer’s report. No change in our accounts. Balances are savings: $5.01, checking: $1035.46.
5. Selika gave the state board report. David mentioned that the state board is undertaking a process of reviewing its priorities and budget.
6. The Swag Committee (Ann F., Mildred, Pa) did not meet.
7. Selika gave an update on One Read Eau Claire. There were 25 in attendance for Just Mercy. The comments Selika heard were supportive of ACLU Smart Justice goals. Updates will be on One Read Eau Claire FaceBook page. Selika will list us as a co-sponsor.
8. The Communications Committee (Ann H & Pa – newsletter; Kelle & Selika – social media) did not meet and the newsletter section did not have an update. Kelle is working on an Instagram and the board discussed using the FaceBook page as a model for appropriate posts for the Instagram as well. Selika will make a snapchat account. David reported that he had put a list of priorities for posting on the FB page, he will try to pin it so it stays on top of the feed.
9. Selika gave an update on Legal Observer Training. Emilio de Torre did a zoom training - Teresa and Selika attended. Selika will share the powerpoint from Emilio and one from Department of Justice.
10. David gave an update on the letter to local educational institutions on racist incidents. David will revise the letter to ask for virtual meetings with the letter recipients.
11. Pa and David gave an update on the Anti-Deportation Rally that took place in March. Both said the event was excellent. Pa was the primary organizer of the event and David spoke on behalf of ACLU-WI CVC.
12. The board discussed how ACLU-WI CVC will adapt to the Wisconsin Safer at Home order. The board discussed adding a public comment section to board meetings, and/or having a virtual town hall meeting.
13. The board discussed anti-Asian racism associated with Covid-19 and an online reporting mechanism. David will write a blog to propose to State ACLU on this topic.
14. The board re-tabled various items from last meeting’s new business, including social events, Know Your Rights at local schools, and reaching out to Matt Rokus, the new EC Police Chief.
15. Kelle asked about the Google Drive - Paul will set up a Google Drive for the board’s use.
16. The meeting was adjourned at 6:33.