Chippewa Valley ACLU Board Meeting
Immanuel Lutheran Church, 3214 Golf Road, Eau Claire
April 14, 2019
Present: Mohammed Alasagherin, Lindsey Brandrup, Ann Heywood, Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Teresa O’Halloran, Pa Thao, Paul Wagner.
Absent: Abby Green, Mildred Larson, David Shih, John Wiltrout.
Guest: Emilio De Torre, Director of Community Engagement, State of WI ACLU
1. The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:30 p.m.
2. The minutes from March 10 meeting were accepted as distributed.
3. John gave the Treasurer’s Report, there is $5.01 in savings and $632.81 in checking.
4. Selika gave the state board report. Selika has been appointed to the state board’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
5. Selika gave an update on the state budget hearings training project.
6. The group discussed the ACLU/JONAH spotter and responder training. Lindsey, Ann, Selika, Pa, Teresa, and John attended the training immediately prior to the board meeting today. The training focused on how to handle various ICE tactics and how to organize to be present on short notice to support and protect our immigrant communities.
7. The board briefly discussed then tabled an issue brought up by Mohammed of a woman asked to remove a headscarf for a photo at the DMV.
8. The board tabled a discussion on free speech until more members were able to be present.
9. The board discussed the possibility of a Beer and Bill of Rights event for Summer 2019.
10. The meeting adjourned at 7:10.