Board Meeting, Minutes - December 12th, 2019
Chippewa Valley ACLU Board Meeting
Unitarian Universalist Church, 421 South Farwell St., Eau Claire
December 8th, 2019
Present: Lindsey Brandrup, Ann Francis, Ann Heywood, Mildred Larson, Kelle Moran, David Shih (presiding), Paul Wagner (recording), John Wiltrout.
Guest: Zoe Knopps
Absent: Selika Ducksworth-Lawton, Teresa O’Halloran, Pa Thao
1. The meeting was called to order at 5:05 p.m.
2. The board accepted the minutes from the November 17th, 2019, meeting, as amended.
3. The board discussed the Treasurer’s Report. Balances are $5.01 in savings and $1041.81 in checking.
4. State board report: None, as no state board meeting since our last meeting.
5. The board discussed the student member application process. Several high school students were reported to be interested, with one application submitted to date. The deadline is December 20th, and the board will discuss all student applications at the January meeting. The board discussed the possibility of remote access to meetings to help students from non-Eau Claire schools to participate.
6. The board discussed web site accessibility. The issue was raised by Katherine Schneider, though she later said that as long as information is added to the web site that she can access it there. Paul will investigate possible accessibility improvements.
7. The board discussed the recent UWEC racism incident. David has discussed a possible local board response with Chris Ott at ACLU-WI, who recommends that we stay away from supporting specific student demands and that we support the students, faculty and staff right to exercise free speech. David will consider drafting a general letter of support, and if generated will send out to the board for discussion.
8. The board discussed a possible Facebook posting policy in light of the recent submission of possibly excessive posts and posts which may not be of local interest. The board tabled discussion of a comprehensive Facebook posting policy to the next meeting.
9. The board discussed chapter goals for 2020, with many items being suggested. David is keeping a master list of these goals for possible inclusion in our next year’s work.
10. The meeting was adjourned at 6:35 p.m.